Thursday, October 27, 2005

new job?

I check the job board ALL THE TIME. Like I know within a day if there is a new job posted. Yesterday I saw a great job for me, Patient Relations Coordinator. It isn't at my hospital but our sister hospital a little bit further away, but still in our hospital system, so I wouldn't loose my retirement plan.

I quickly got the paperwork together and called the recruiter. When I approached Donna, my new manager, she asked me a bunch of questions about why I want to leave, she has to sign off on the request to transfer before I am considered for an interview. The recruiter didn't leave me feeling very positive, the first thing she said is "well, we have had a chaplain apply" which I guess means she believes based upon his choice of careers he is more qualified. I didn't let that get me down, I redid my resume, called the Patient Relations Manager and told her I was applying for the job. She thinks I would be great, but really did not want to see me leave our hospital. Today Donna called me and said she wanted to ask a few more questions about the job and why I want to leave. I explained that I really do love my job and my hospital, but I am not stimulated and I don't think faciliting diagnosis is the best use of my qualities. She agreed. She asked if she re-created my job to be about 1/3 field work would I be interested. The field work would be visiting the doctors offices and training the staff, providing customer service and making sure that their needs are being met by the laboratory. I already do that but on a very small scale. She attended one lunch that did some training at the office and I guess she was impressed. She is going to present her plan to the powers that be tomorrow! She pulled me aside later in the day and told me she isn't just paying me lip service, she really wants to keep me in the lab, and I am the best candidate to be the liaison between the lab and the physicians. I told her that I think we are really missing out on providing a better level of service to our doctors, the sales rep gets the account and then we don't really hold their hands or honestly treat them all that good when they are new. Maybe because nobody pays a follow up call and tells them what our expectations and requirements consist of.

So I hope that on Monday she will have some great news for me.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

That's great news already!! Good luck for Monday.

See you soon =)

Deborah Boschert said...

Very cool. I'm so glad that you took some steps forward... it may result in an even better situation than you planned.

molly said...

Good luck! This sounds really exciting!