Monday, October 10, 2005

Canadian Thanksgiving

This weekend I celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving. We all met up at the beach for a long weekend of camping, but since most of us have to work today, it really wasn’t so much a long weekend as an overnight. And it was really all about the food.

Saturday
SNACKS
Chorizo cooked in wine. Fine cheese and crackers. Chips and dip.

DINNER
Garbage can Turkey. After realizing that a turkey will not fit into any affordable Dutch oven Katrina and Scott came up with a baby sized metal garbage can. The turkey was stuffed with bacon and fruit and all sorts of wonderful flavors. The turkey was moist and delicious. We ate every last bite.

Yams with lots of sweet spices simmered in the Dutch oven for many hours.

DESSERT
Banana Boats wrapped in foil. Bananas with a wedge cut out stuffed with peanut and chocolate chips and bits of marshmallow. Toss them in the coals and you’ve got dessert in a short 15 minutes!

Shaggy salty dogs; roasted marshmallows dipped in a can of Hershey’s warming on the fire rolled in coconut and chopped peanuts.

Sunday
BREAKFAST
An orange, hallowed out and filled with gingerbread batter, wrapped in foil cooked on the coals. They were every bit as good as I had hoped. I assume I made them as a girl scout, but I don’t really remember them.

Cinnamon rolls in the can cooked over the fire in a Dutch Oven.

Mimosas

Fresh fruit

LUNCH
Gourmet burgers with aged cheddar cheese cooked over an open fire.

The only bad thing about camping was Dick and Cindy. They were in the site next to us. When they went to bed about 12:30, they carried on for about 2 hours; Cindy going from laughing to crying in her drunken stupor. But Dick really sealed the deal of being the worst camping neighbor ever when he woke Cindy up at 4 because she was snoring. He then proceeded to talk, bitch, complain, whatever at the top of his lungs for about 2 hours. Until he got up to find water, and yogurt without a spoon whilst signing “The Things We Do For Love”. At that point the it was my usual waking time and the sun was almost up and I couldn’t go back to sleep. I wanted more than anything to start singing Rise and Shine and give God your glory, glory, all 20+ versus at 7:00 when Cindy and Dick were sound asleep. I didn’t.

I'll load pictures at home!

7 comments:

Ben said...

Wah! I want to see some pictures. You guys are #1.

Anonymous said...

Yummy - fabulous menu! Now I'm hungry! Funny story about your tent neighbors! I forgot it was Canadian Thanksgiving - another good excuse to have a good time with good friends!

Deborah Boschert said...

OH MY... you know how to cook for camping. I am so impressed. Glad you had fun. Sorry about the neighbors. Grrrr. I agree, your blog is lacking in pictures.

Megan said...

Dear. God.

You should totally go on Food Network with that menu!

Deborah Boschert said...

Ok, Kate and I need more details about the gingerbread in an orange. Do you hollow out the whole thing so there is no fruit left? And what tool did you use?

Joanna Stein said...

I used my fingers to dig out the orange. I thought I might be able to save and use the insides, but no. You just should stand in front of the garbage and pick until clean. It is a little frustrating at first, but it gets easier.

Leave orange the "lid" so that the juices run down into the ginerbread. It is a little hard to tell when they are done, but when the orange starts to burn, you are in trouble.

I think next time I'll do it with brownines!

Katrina said...

The gingerbread in an orange & mimosas were such a treat for breakfast.

Joanna is a star. Her desserts and breakfast were so damn good.

I can't wait for spit fire camping!!!