Wednesday, February 01, 2006

You are unprofessional and disrespectful

I started my day with an email from my superior stating that when I send him email the tone should be on a more professional and respectful level.

The email I sent was :
Is the computer working or not? Supervisor says no; Manager says yes.

2 rather simple sentences. It was a reply to a string of emails discussing the computer and if it works or not. I didn't think it was necessary to be super wordy in my question. And of course I used their names and not their titles.

I being the crybaby that I am burst into tears. Immediately after I wiped my tears I took my RESPECT award nomination certificate and taped it to the cubby door above my head. The rewards are a huge deal at my work; they take the values set forth by the nuns very seriously.

I stressed out about his statement to me all day. I questioned my email, reading it over and over. Was I rude? I showed it to my work friends and everyone said I need to go speak with the manager. I said that I was very hesitant, I don't really dig confrontation (thanks mom). I kept tearing up every time I'd read it; and get mad at myself that I'm letting his words bother me.

Towards the end of the day the manager called and asked if I could please come to her office. I grabbed my pen and pad of paper and dreadfully walked to her office. She asked me to close the door, bad sign. She then said You sent me and email about the computer? Yes, I did, and I got a reply back from the supervisor. She said well let me first say that I do not see what is offensive about your email. I've read it a number of times and I just don't get it. I need to apologize for his behavior. I do not understand what he thinks. He was totally out of line and I will speak to him tonight as soon as he arrives. She said a number of other things that made me feel much better. An especially tasty tidbit is hiring someone from his past who fired his ass.

We then discussed the new job more and some different aspects of how she sees things progressing. She'll go on the first 3-4 calls with the physicians and then I'm on my own.

She also asked me to help her revise (create) all the policy directories and training manuals. All on overtime! WHOOT, more $$$ for Alaska. I told her I was really excited about doing them and she said she knew I would be.

Earlier in the conversation I said that the supervisor sometimes makes me want to quit. She said to hang in there she has really good things planned for me and my future!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I hope that guy gets fired.
What a dick!

The cool thing is that they are recognizing your value!!!!