Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Conservative God

I’m not a conservative. I do like to think of myself as open minded. But maybe I’m not?

I paged through a Ladies Home Journal today at lunch. I started to read an article about sex and marriage. The article stated that married people have the best sex and any sex outside of marriage is really either a waste of time or sinful. I’m not sure exactly which it is, maybe a sinful waste of time?

I do agree that soulful sex, as it was referenced, is great. But I have a real problem with the fact that the article inferred that any sex outside of marriage is wrong. The article mentioned different Bible verses and told me over and over that God wants me to be a healthy sexually active married woman.

Here is where my problem lies. I know some women who are in the late 30’s and unmarried. One in particular just turned 37. She is single. And honestly she isn’t the greatest example because she is a total bitch and has insane standards of who she will and won’t consider dating. Like he must have ALL his hair, he must not have ever been married or fathered any children, he must have a title after is name, he must love country line dancing and he must drive a new car.

So these unwed women are supposed to live chaste lives? Never ever enjoying the flesh of another until they are wed? Why just because I found a mate (who was willing to marry me) am I allowed to enjoy sex? How is that healthy? The article stated that God doesn't see sex as shamefull, but of course only if you are married. And don’t even get me started on those who are gay, their love doesn’t count, well really they don’t count as people, in the eyes of the Conservative God.

After reading the first page of the article I looked to see who wrote it, Rick Warren, Purpose Driven Life. I stopped reading.

I guess that I’m not open minded because I couldn’t get past the exclusions; the nuclear family is not the only way to go.

3 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Isn't it odd when you feel like you are the only enlightened person around?

Katrina said...

WTF?! Dude, this bothers you because you are open minded.

Anonymous said...

I subscribed to LHJ about two years ago - without knowing its real content. Month after month the articles are way too consdervative for me! I can hardly wait till my subscription runs out - in the mean time I donate to the hospital - un opened.