Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Books

I went to my first book club last night. We discussed The Time Traveler's Wife over Indian food and pomegranate martini creations. There were 15 of us, myself the newest member. The book club began one year ago this month. To honor the year of reading I helped Katrina make each of the girls book marks; which they all loved.

Many of my girlfriends read a ton. Molly hopes to read 200 books this year. My dad has read a book or two a week my whole life; really he is always reading.

I hope that my girlfriends can continue to inspire me to read beautiful words, and sometimes words that challenge me; both to finish and to think. And don't forget the US Weekly.

We went around the table, low to the ground all of us sitting on woven pillows, and named our favorite book of the last year. Since I just joined I named my favorite book club book, see above. And The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, you totally wouldn't think it from the 30 second commercials about the movie (which I also loved). The other reread book was a Wrinkle in Time. My books were all about relationships and travel.

The top 2 other books of the group were The Kite Runner, which is super fantastic and Norwegian Wood. The third place was Random Family. I have placed an order Norweigian Wood and Random Family on Amazon.

The next book club is Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. This book club has 2 rules, no hardcover and no books that someone just read. I like them already.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Yay Joanna!!! I'm so glad you had a good time! Your bookmarks ROCKED. I hope I didn't embarrass you by bragging about your TV status! You're fancy!!!

molly said...

I'm so jealous!

And no way am I reading 200 books this year. Less than 100 at the rate I'm going. All this damned non-fiction is slowing me down.