Friday, February 24, 2006

Yay and Boo

Yay: I got a new job.
Boo: I got a new job.

On Wednesday my manager and I sat down to again discuss the workings of the redesign of my job, out in the field working with the physicians. It was pretty much the same conversation that we’ve been having for 3 months.

She has not followed through on the things she said she would in order for us to move forward, officially. In order to change my title or to create a new position it has to be signed off on by the top level executives. In order to create a new position you have to write a job description. I found a similar job online and printed out their description and gave it to her. I doubt that there will be progress in the near future. I figure that I’m not a priority because well I’m just not.

So I decided that I need to take action in changing my job regardless of the title and financial incentive. I’m board and I need a change, or I’ll end up leaving and fucking myself out of the match on the retirement plan. Only 2 years, 2 weeks and 2 days that I MUST work at the hospital.

On Thursday I made appointments at MD offices every day next week; some 2 offices in a day. I have a little packet I present to the staff, and my speech all planned. I’m confident I will help to deliver a positive consistent message and build good relationships with the physicians. Ideally this move would lead me into a bigger and brighter future.

Fast forward to today. My faux supervisor FINALLY got her official offer from the government. She got the offer phone call the first week of December. She was all hush-hush only really telling her manager and the secretary; because who knew when they would call her up for the job. She couldn’t give any notice and of course because things could fall through. The secretary and I have break together everyday and chit chat throughout the day. So of course I know all of this job information when the Faux Sup came and asked if I have some time to meet with her and the 2 managers; hers and mine.

Faux is going to be leaving her job next Friday. Would I be interested in taking her position? Here is the catch, she is not going to quit. She can’t afford to just work for the government; her expenses are too high. So her plan is to train me on 1 aspect of her job and take a leave of absence for 3 months. Return, train me on the rest of her job, which for some reason can sit untouched for 3 months??? She then will work part time doing something else? Or so she hopes.
I guess I’ll have to come in on the weekends and work late into the night for this training in 3 months? It’s not quite clear. I don’t think it will work out in to her benefit, I don’t think they’ll let her hold the position hostage and micro manage me from afar.

So when presented with all this information I told them that as you all know I’ve been doing 2 fulltime jobs for a number of months. I do all the customer service and I do all of the billing. We have not had 2 days in a row where the department was staffed with a person, other than me to answer the phones. And I’m not willing to take on more responsibility unless I am justly compensated. I said I am a grade 8, her job is a grade 11. They indicated that I would get only a 6% raise. The difference between our pay is $8 an hour, not even close to 6% more. I would get a 6% raise regardless next month when I get my annual raise.

I also mentioned that I was really excited about changing the direction in my job and I have appointments booked all next week. I am concerned with the job stability, what if she hates the gov. and comes back and takes her job? I then go back to my job and my rate of pay? And possibly miss the opportunity for the role out in the field?

I guess it will all work out in the end. I need to change my focus. I start training Monday for her job. As for my job, it is unclear. Maybe I’ll still have to do both.

Yay? Boo? It’s a little of both.

2 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

stand your ground.

Joanne S said...

Are all hospitals like this? I'd look for another job, for another company. these people are squirrley. I KNOW they have great coffee.