Thursday, November 03, 2005

Days of Our Lives

Tonight was the night! I pulled into the parking garage, and the lot was full. I pouted a bit and the guy asked me my name. I said Joanna. He left to get "the list" and came back and said that sadly I wasn't on the list. The names on the list were Ken Corday (producer), Deidre Hall(Marlena)... yes; I'm not on that list I KNOW those names. I asked him what I was supposed to do and he said he didn't know, I pouted a bit more and he took my keys and gave me a ticket. YAY. I then asked him where I could get a drink. He didn't have any suggestions. I walked out and checked out the line.

It was 5:15 and I didn't really want to stand in line for an hour. I kept walking and saw the Cheesecake Factory. Bingo. I don't know why I forgot about the CF. I saw one seat at the bar and politely asked the woman sitting next to it if it was available. It was. I sat, ordered a cosmo and perused the menu. I heard the women next to me mention details of Days or DOOL if you are a true fan. I said “Oh are you guys going to the days thing?”. All three women sneered at me and said yes, then as if an after thought the woman next to me asked quite rudely if I was. I snotted right back to her yes. Snotty bitches. I tried my best to ignore them and listen to every word they said while I read the menu and watched the football/basketball game.

The bitches left and I finished my (gasp) second drink. $25 later, I left and walked the two blocks to the TV & Radio Museum. The line was still outside, and I now a little buzzed and quite a bit braver, chatted with the old (70ish) couple behind me. Doug and Julie, two old time cast members go to their church, the one at Colfax and Moorpark where they filmed 7th Heaven. Once inside with tickets in hand I found a single seat in the middle. I asked the woman next to me if she was from LA. She was from out near Joshua Tree. I said that is a very special place in my heart. The woman she was with lives in JT. I told them all about my wedding and we bonded over DOOL. We brought the woman on the other side of me into the chit chat. Then all of the sudden the desert chick squeals and realized that it is Sunny from NY. ??? It seems that they all post on the same message boards, mainly Deidre Hall fan sites. The desert chick seriously knows everything about his other chick’s life. I can totally relate, even though I’m not a very active member of my own online community I know their little secrets and it would be weird if I happened to be sitting next to one of them. I give them both my card and they promised to keep in touch.

Soon the lights go dim, and the show begins. They began with a nice clip show and man do the Deidre fans scream when she comes on, wow! The moderator was only ok. It was great to see everyone in real life. On the panel was Ab, John Black, Marlena, Bo, Hope (she is sickly skinny), Ken Corday, Julie, and Doug. In the audience was Maggie, Sami, Carrie, Austin, Nicole and Frankie. There may have been more, but it was hard to tell. They discussed their auditions, the various plots, and different feelings they have for each other and the show. I learned that Ken Corday the son of the original producers. When his father died his mother took over. When she was ready to retire, he took over; 40 years one family. The super fans next to me give quite a spoiler that Marlena is actually married to Alex. I don’t know how that happens; but he isn’t Roman. He really is Roman, he is the OG Roman, the guy that we saw in Vail, CO when I was 15. But he isn’t Roman now, he’s been replaced multiple times, by John Black and Dylan’s dad from 90120.

There were a few fan questions, none of them very good. More along the lines of when are you going to have John and Marlena get a back together? I guess I’m in the minority for the reunion of Roman (Dylan’s dad) getting back together. I quickly learned to keep my thoughts to myself.

After they wrapped things up, there was a nice little reception. The food looked very good, I had an apple slice. Sami was walking towards me and I stopped her and told her how much I enjoyed her character and I thought she was really good. She is the only one who can draw real tears (ok so can Kate but not like Sami). I got my camera and asked some woman to take our picture. I lost the chance and she had her arm around a cute retarded boy, he was in front of me and seemed totally into it. Then someone else grabbed her for a picture. I said to the woman with my camera, oh well missed opportunity. As soon as Sami was done with the second picture she came back to me and said I know you wanted to have your picture taken with me! Hooray.

I also took pictures of Carrie, Ab, a few of Marlena (ok I got all swept up into her fan club, I don’t know if I’ll join, but I might run behind the bandwagon for a bit and check things out) John, Doug and Julie. All the others retreated straight to the green room and did not mingle with mere fans. I’m a tiny bit annoyed that they didn’t even spend 10 minutes in the crowd. Nobody was that crazy. They probably really are that crazy, cause they’ll hate your non mingling ass and let it be known all over the internet. I look forward to reading the boards.

Sami and I

Marlena (I'm such a fan I even took one of her at her car in the parking garage)

Carrie

John



there are a few more, I'll post them later.

8 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

I am laughing out loud here with my coffee. I'm so glad you did it. I can't believe I haven't watched Days in probably 15 years, but I could still keep up with every reference. Even the 90210 and 7th Heaven stuff. If I wasn't so cheap I think I'd drink more cosmos.

Joanna Stein said...

I forgot the rest of the story with the bitch women. They were running the event, I think they work for the show. It is possible they work for the museum, I still don't like them either way.

Anonymous said...

Joanna - you have the most amazing experiences! I've watched Days maybe 5 times in my life and I even know some of the names! Great story - great memories!

Anonymous said...

Yea - I see pictures - thanks to the computer at St. Andrew's! So,in the first picture the beautiful one on the left must be the movie star!

Deborah Boschert said...

Oh yes, I meant to say how snappy you looked!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you did it and got your picture taken with someone. kick ass!!

Katrina said...

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! That is so awesome I can hardly stand it!!!

joolz said...

OMG I love your life! That sounds like it ruled.