Thursday, November 17, 2005

I still have bursitis

YAY! No tear, only a tiny bit of fraying of my tendons. The inflammation should subside within 4-6 months and I shouldn't have any more trouble. My prescription is to do aggressive stretching and yoga. I can do both.

I participated in a state wide disaster drill today. I played a victim, actually many different victims actually. The disaster was a bomb explosion at a hotel convention center (the Hilton in Burbank) after they set up triage outside in the parking lot there was another explosion in the triage area. Then another blast on the main route from there to the hospital. We had 50 victims. I was an older woman who had a large abdominal wound and was sent to the OR. Rather than go to the OR she wandered away and they had to call the cops to find her walking down the street. My personal favorite was the playing the woman who was 7 months pregnant and contaminated. They decon'd me the sent me to L&D and I delivered the babies. I decided to have twins because I couldn't choose a boy or a girl. I was also a few different men, most with hearing loss due to the blast and abdominal pain due to some biological agent in the bombs. It was fun. I like working with different people and these type of drills are always filled with people you only see in passing. Next time they are going one step further and having make up people from the studios come over and do "real" injuries!

I went grocery shopping today. I spent $109 and feel like I hardly bought anything. I suppose the impulse purchase of a $18 prime rib roast, $15.99 tequlia and then $15 worth of water made it seem like so little. I also for the very first time in my entire life bought brussel sprouts. Why you ask? I don't know. But I plan to steam them with some raisins, (the did not have currents) and make myself like them. I'll let you know how it goes. My dad would be jealous!

2 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

That is so funny. I saw a picture in the paper today of the last day of the farmers' market and someone had brussel sprouts and I thought to myself, "why does every one say they are gross. I've never tried them. Could they be that bad." But that's as far as it went. I'll look forward to your report. Good news about the shoulder. Yoga will definetely be good. In fact, I should try more yoga before I try brussel sprouts.

Anonymous said...

Brussel sprouts - yuck! Of course the reason you never had them was because I didn't cook them! I watched Rachel Ray cook them yesterday with bacon (that would help!).
Goodness, how interesting to participate in the disaster - very frightening to think about how real it sounded. Let's hope you never have to experience anything more real than that!