Monday, July 16, 2007

Forget the lryics

I auditioned for "Don't Forget the Lyrics" today. It is a karaoke style game show, you sing missing song lyrics to popular tunes. Each song you finish correctly you win money, up to $1,00,000.

The initial part of the interview consisted of a test with 24 songs with blank lines following a string of lyrics. Songs like Summer Night from Grease and We are the Champions by Queen or I'm Just a Country Boy by John Denver.

Summer Nights
Summer lovin' had me a blast
Summer lovin' happened so fast
I met a girl crazy for me
Met a boy cute as can be
____ ____ ____ _____

If you know it you know it right off. I got about half way through and then went back to the tougher songs. I'd sing them in my head, closing my eyes trying to come up with the next line. Some were really a challenge. It did not help that that woman next to me was finished and quite chatty with the dude handing out and grading the tests. She also texed very noisily, like beep beep beep, beep beep beep beeeeeep. ANNOYING. I at one point asked if there was any way she could turn off the beeps, as it was very distracting. She got annoyed with me and huffed back, I'm almost done. Whatever, even I know how to text in silence. I kind of hated her by that point.

Anyway, I was still lamenting on missing lyrics I couldn't figure out when the other woman in the room (who came in after me) turned in her answers, and passed.

I finished up what I could and left a few blank. I sat back down and waited. I'd been through this before, I was ready for the news. Shockingly, I passed.

The other woman that was waiting had driven in from the OC and made it to Hollywood in 30 minutes! We discussed alternate routes and various driving in LA.

The three of us were interviewed together. Loud Texter went first. She had been practicing what she would say, "metal plate in my head crazy cat lady" in the waiting room. She did well, saying that she had metal plate in her head and she has 4 cats. The "judges" banter back and forth with her and then ask her to sing. She asks what we all think, name a country star. Everyone names one, I said Shaina Twain (I don't listen to country) she looks at me and says OVERRATED. The judges finally tell her to just pick something she likes. She asks if she can sing Patsy Cline. They say yes sing what you like. So she sang. Very well. She said she was nervous and probably sounded bad, but she didn't get nervous signing in front of 20,000 people.

Next up Fast OC Driver. She works doing event planning disney or something. She is also a professional singer. Great. 2 profession singers and me. I'm not sure what she sang, but it was good.

Now me. I don't even know what I said, something about make up brushes and egg art. They didn't know what egg art was, so I explained, poorly. I sang the first verse of Frank Mills. WTF is Frank Mills? Hair soundtrack. I did ok. Not great, especially when paired with two professional singers.

Fast OC Driver 100% dominated the focus, she had a very big personality. I'm sure you'll see her on the tv.

They said they'd need to discuss and sent us out to the waiting room. The judges returned and said they'd review everything and get back to us in 24 hours. Then they asked Loud Texter "since you've been here so long to stay and get you on camera". They said to me, we'll call you in 24 hours and told me to leave. Fast OC Driver did not come out after me, so one can only assume she too was asked to stay for the camera.

Um, don't call me, we'll call you. Whatever I wasn't too excited about, I don't want to sing karaoke in my everyday life, so not singing on national television is just fine with me.

I'm glad I did it. It'll help to have the butterflies out before the audition on Thursday for SHOPPING! I can totally do bargain shopping and answer pop trivia questions! I'll be close to home, relaxed after work, and not straight from work! Shopping is way more my speed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joanna - what a riot! Of course I doubt I'll ever watch the show unless YOU are on so FOX is the loser! Or...maybe they will call!

Deborah Boschert said...

"Summer days, drifting away..."

Love Frank Mills!

Can't wait to hear about shopping!

Deborah Boschert said...

FYI: I didn't go look up those lyrics when I commented. Seriously. And I just went to check and I see I got them correct! Maybe I should have tried out while I was in LA.