Sunday, August 06, 2006

Fun filled day

Yesterday Matt and I got up early to go meet some people from my work for a hike. We drove out to Topanga Canyon Blvd and got a bit lost. Why are there 2 streets with just one letter difference? One ended in A, one in O. We took the masculine O and didn't find our destination, making us a few minutes late when we finially found the feminine version of the street 5 or so miles down the road. Stupid.

The hike was pretty challenging. The pace was faster than I normally walk, and it was a straight incline, about 500 feet every half mile. After a short rest near the top we made it to Eagle Rock and sat and chatted about the world in general with my coworkers. The VP of my area planned the hike and one of the fund managers and another person who assits the main guy joined us.

After completing the four mile round trip hike we went out for lunch. Lunch ended up being just my boss, Matt and I; the others bailed for other committments. My bosses wife joined us shortly after we arrived. She is 6 months pregnant and wasn't up for the hike. The four of us had a lovely long lunch at one of the most romantic places in all of Los Angeles. It was really, really nice. For some reason, my boss even paid!

We came home and napped for a bit then got ready to go to dinner at Ian and Deb's place. That was also a great night. Matt was roommates with Ian many years ago and they have a great connection with music. I get along great with his wife; we sit outside while they work on music and chat. They have a great mission style 100+ year old home in the Mid-City area of Los Angeles. With a great back yard and a home studio. They also have 2 boys with loads of energy.

Today will be a bit more quiet. Errands, cleaning and laundry.

2 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

That sounds so great! How excellent to be making some social connections with work people. (This is the new job, right?) I just saw some survey that said blah blah blah... people who have friends at work are happier than those that don't. Well, duh! Anyway, I hope you are making "friends."

Anonymous said...

Joanna - such fun to read about your great day! It reminds me of an old girl scout song - "make new friends but keep the old..." Perfect!