Friday, January 09, 2009

Diet Update

We're on day 9. No sugar, no processed foods, no wheat, no caffeine and no alcohol.

We were finally feeling normal and sane by about day 5/6. We are making everything we eat. Although I did use one can of beans and one can of tomato paste, both neither had anything other than beans and tomatoes so I figured it was ok. I still take advantage of the free lunch, I usually order salad or a baked potato and bring in some sort of protein from the night before.

Matt has been making coconut milk from fresh coconuts for smoothies. We've been using coconut oil in various items, in hot water with some agave nectar or to cook up some potato pancakes. Coconuts are supposedly really good in assisting weight loss and overall health.

I don't feel like I'm dieting, we're eating a bunch, it's just all healthy stuff. I still crave some sort of salty treat when I come home. I've been attempting to pacify the cravings with olives.

I'm sure I'll struggle in Aspen. But I'll try hard to mostly stick to eating healthfully.

Tomorrow I'm making beef stock. I'll use some of it to make some french onion soup. I can't wait.

I'm also going to do some baking this weekend. I'm trying spelt and coconut flours to see what I can make.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really so interesting to read and learn that our bodies really do go into withdrawal when certain foods/beverages are removed. I'm totally impressed that you and Matt have gone 9 days! Way to go!
Love, mom

Anonymous said...

Hi, just want to mention that Spelt is a very near relative of the Wheat family. It probably came about due to cross pollunation between wild Wheat of various varieties. Spelt is just an older type of Wheat and it is a softer type.
You do have lots of other grains or grain-like varieties you could try too. Rye, Oats, Rice!!!
Last week I made bread with using Spelt flour and Natural rolled Oats. It was wonderful. I didn't use a recipe, don't have the patience, I used 2lbs of Spelt flour to 1lb of oats. Yes, it was a huge bread, but it only lasted a day and a half in this house.

How is the eating plan going?

Joanna Stein said...

How do you get the bread to rise? Do you use a sponge?