Sunday, January 07, 2007

30 days

Matt and I have made a big lifestyle change. We have gone vegetarian for at least one month. Today is one full week eating no meat (eggs and dairy are ok). I don't miss it. I've explored food items I've never considered and I'm really enjoying the journey.

We also joined the Y and did a 15 minutes on the elliptical machine and then swam laps. Hooray for being on the road to fitnes.

Tonight I am making this:

2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp tahini
1/2 cup tamari
1/3 cup toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tbsp sake or dry white wine
4 portobello mushroom caps
1 tbsp peanut oil

Combine the garlic, ginger, and tahini. Stir in tamari, sesame oil, brown sugar, and sake. Blend well.

Place mushroom caps in a shallow dish. Add the marinade, turning to coat the mushrooms, and let sit for 30 minutes, turning once.

Heat peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms (reserve the marinade) and sear, turning once until well browned and slightly softened, about 5 minutes.

Serve mushrooms with marinade drizzled on top.

I might grill them rather than saute. I will serve them with either wasabi mashed potatoes or brown rice and a salad. Edamame or an appetizer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delish! So, whats tahini?

Deborah Boschert said...

tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds. Sounds yum.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to being vegetarian, I hope you can hang in there. I made the shift permanently exactly a year ago and do have dairy and eggs (for the time being), but I feel so much better healthwise, lots more energy. I have been on/off vegetarian over the years and always had a natural food lifestyle. I will come back to give you the name of a very good and cheap cook book. The recipes are very easy and the results delicious.