Thursday, June 15, 2006

Change

I think that Matt and I have a good goal set of saving as much as possible and choosing a city in which to live. After the choice is made, we move, find jobs, buy property and get on with life.

In order to save the most amount of money I need a different job. In the past I have made some poor choices of fit based upon money. I think today with clearly defined goals and the fact that I'm a bit more grown up I won't have the same issues.

I had an interview with a placement agency this afternoon. I scored in the 97% on Word, Excel and PowerPoint. I think that is pretty good, especially on PowerPoint since I have never ever used that program. Windows based knowledge carries you a long way.

They loved me and sent my resume off while I was in the office. They have me interviewing on Monday at an investment firm. I really enjoyed my last job at an investment firm and it would be cool to finish up LA at the same type of company as when I left Boston.

One of the biggest struggles I had with the potential of a new job is the hours. I AM A MORNING PERSON. What company wouldn't want to get the very best of me? So let me start at 6:00 am and then let me go home at 2 :30 and live my life. So I had come to grips with the fact that I'd loose a huge chunk of free time and just focused on the goal. Well what hours are the job? 6:00-2:30! It is a commute, but it is less than 20 miles away.

The job also pays way, way, way more than what I make now.

And even though it isn't creative like Joanne would like (and me too), I will still be able to spend my afternoons creating away and watching Oprah. Life is good.

So think good new job thoughts for me Monday afternoon.

I have a meeting with my current manager tomorrow to discuss my current situation. I don't know how that conversation will go. I am considering telling her that I am seeking other opportunities. We have discussed the housing market in LA a number of times, and Matt and my desire to have a home. She is the manager who often asks if I am pregnant; she wants me to have a baby I assume because that is what marrieds do. So maybe I'll tell her that I need to leave so we can move and start a family. And maybe that wouldn't be a big lie.

So also think good thoughts for my current job discussion tomorrow. Whatever it is we discuss I will not agree to the 30+ hours of training that I need to do after 5:00 and on the weekends in order to know how to do my job.

3 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Good thoughts. (and good vibes for Austin)

Joanne S said...

I will be sending good thoughts all day!!!

I like that life changes are moving you forward. The universe will help those who have a plan.

Oprah?????

Jamie said...

You say: So maybe I'll tell her that I need to leave so we can move and start a family. And maybe that wouldn't be a big lie.

I say: ARE YOU THINKING OF MAYBE STARTING A FAMILY?? I caught that~I think, was there something to catch?? ;-) Good luck on your choices and I wish you and your hubby nothing but happiness in all that you do!!