Monday, June 02, 2008

Flying the coop

The baby birds have been preening their feathers and flapping their wings for the last few days. I knew they were just minutes away from flying away. I've tried numerous times to capture the preening and flapping on camera but they freeze when ever I would stick my camera out the window.

You can imagine my surprise today when I came home from work to find the nest empty. Well, not so much that the nest was empty but that there was a baby bird INSIDE my apartment on the window sill looking out at the nest/bird feeder on the OUTSIDE. Poor baby bird.

I tried to take some pictures but my media card was locked. I didn't have time to play around and figured it was more important to get the bird safely outside. As much as I've loved watching the birds, I don't want to live with one in my apartment.

I found a box and cornered the bird on to just one section of the sill and captured him in the box. I then went outside to the grass and set him free. He flew up into the tree right in front of the nest/feeder and has set off to make a new life. I don't know if the birdies will come back to sleep or if that is it. I will keep you posted. In the meantime a slew of baby bird pics. And a pic of the poop left on my heater and window sill.

ps. While walking Emma I spied the baby bird on the ledge above my window. I hope he finds his way without his parents to guide him. I put out some pine nuts on the outside window sill just in case they come back hungry.

Yum, let me puke in your mouth
'

Maybe if we crouch low enough she won't see us


Hanging out


Look I have a wing


Poop


Empty nest


The first time they were left alone

No comments: