Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Commission

I'm always honored to accept commission work. It usually amazes me that someone actually wants to pay me to make something special for them.

Usually.

I have a co-worker who has a necklace that I made. She gets compliments on it every time she wears it, awesome! One woman asked that she bring a necklace to me to make some earrings that she lost. I made the earrings and the woman loved them, again awesome. Then she lost one and I had to make a replacement. Which would be great, if I ever received the money from the co-worker to cover my costs. It is my own fault for not pressing her for the payment, but that is a whole other post.

So then the woman gave the co-worker one earring and said she wanted a necklace and bracelet to match. No other details, the earring is a stone and diamond earring. Not exactly my medium. Excuses, excuses I didn't call the woman and the earring has been sitting in my purse for a couple weeks. So upon some pressing from my co-worker I call the woman today.

This was the conversation:

Ring, ring.
All I hear is loud music, at first I thought that it might be an annoying answering machine with just random music.

Young Man: hello (add a tinge of annoyance)
Me: Is Linda there?
YM: She'll call you back
Me: can I please leave a message
YM: NO She'll call you back
Me: can I at least leave my name so she knows who called? I start to say this is co-workers friend...
YM: SHE'LL CALL YOU BACK SHE HAS YOUR NUMBER
Me: yes, but she won't know who is calling her
YM: grumble grumble SHE WILL CALL YOU BACK

So I hung up on him. Fuck that. I don't need additional work in a medium I don't deal with and one that will be a hassle to get paid.

However, if the woman calls me back I would be happy to ask her to meet me or attend one of my shows where she could purchase some of my ready made products. Or talk in person to figure out what it is she is looking for.

It is my own fault for doing such a kickass job on the earrings, serves me right!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Makes you wonder what they were doing and why he didn't just let the answering machine pick up if that was all he was going to say. At least you could have left a real message on it.