Monday, June 04, 2007

Margaritas vs. Street Fair

Summer is almost here! Not that it feels like summer, it hasn’t been above 75 degrees in weeks. I am excited for all the kiddies to be out of school, my commute is always about 10 minutes less during the summer.

As I posted yesterday we had decided to go to the Los Feliz street festival. We were a block from the subway and noticed that the new grocery store was open! We just had to take a detour and check out what the store has to offer. It was a shiny and new, the produce all piled up in an artistic manner, and a lovely floor free of grime and dirt.

Halibut was on sale, $14.99/pound for the filets. About $10 less than Whole Foods and Gelson’s! We are walking back to the store tonight to pick up some halibut for dinner. I asked Matt if I should prepare it differently than lightly breaded and pan fried in butter/olive oil. He thinks I have a good thing going with the current method and why mess with a good thing. Yum!

After shopping at the grocery store we decided that rather than going to the street fair we’d rather have a margarita. For whatever reason, full bars are hard to find in our immediate neighborhood. By immediate, I mean within a 5 minute walk. Beer and wine are plentiful, just not liquor, save for a hard core gay bar or two. We decided to walk to the lone Mexican restaurant, which we thought was about 4 or 5 blocks away. About a mile or so later we were still walking and vowing to enjoy our margarita’s and take a taxi home. As we continued to walk block upon block, finally we could see the sign for Karaoke and Margaritas. Fortunately, the karaoke wasn’t happening and we drank our salty rimmed margaritas and ate chips with guac and salsa.

We did walk home. I promised that the walk home would do us well and the sun was shining and we had a buzzy spring to our step.

I’m not sure if the margarita was a better decision than the street fair. But we for sure got more exercise walking the 4 miles round trip for the drinks than the few blocks we would have walked at the fest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't ever stop blogging - I love reading your beautifully written stories - I felt like I was walking with you and Matt! I could almost taste the Margarita but I liked the chips & salsa better!

Samantha said...

Margaritas and exercise beat going to a street fair any day!